Friday, March 18, 2011

Rain, rain, rain.

Since Rome not a lot has happened in Bilbao. When we first got back the weather was great and we thought the rain was over. Our hopes were destroyed in about 6 hours when the following day it was cold and raining again. At home when it rains it's not a very big deal, unless it hasn't rained in 2 years, but that is because we all have cars and can drive to where we need to. Here we can't do that! Walking to the bus stop and waiting for 15 minutes while it is raining and the wind is blowing isn't my idea of fun. At school the buses have designated spaces where they drop us off and of course our is the furthest from the art building. there were a few days this past week where I was able to wear a t-shirt and no sweater or jacket. The best thing I brought to Bilbao was my Columbia rain jacket. Everyone here uses umbrellas, but it is so windy that they break a lot. My jacket has kept me dry and warm any time I wear it. Now that it has started to warm up I took the lining out and it's perfect.
Last weekend three of the girls and I took a trip to Salamanca to hang out with Jimmy and JP, two guys that live there. It was a nice change of pace from Bilbao. It is smaller, cleaner, and cheaper. They were able to convince their RD's in their dorms to let us stay there and it worked well. Jimmy lives downtown, 5 minutes from the main plaza. Salamanca has a different feel than Bilbao. It doesn't feel as urban even though it is a city. The people seemed more friendly to American students, but that is probably because there are a lot of them in Salamanca. We went out the first night we were there and all of the clubs are right next to each other which is very nice. Here in Bilbao there aren't a lot of clubs in general and the ones that we have are way out of the way. What we pay for one drink in Bilbao will get you 2 or 3 in Salamanca. I spent about 25 euro total in Salamanca for the weekend, and that includes meals.
I made some new friends in Bilbao recently as well. They aren't Spanish, but they are from Europe. Hannah and Steffi from Belgium and Luca from Germany. They are a lot of fun, and have great stereotypes of people from Texas. They honestly think we all carry guns and the only fact they know about TX is that more people are killed by lethal injection than anywhere else.
This weekend is pretty busy for us. Tonight we are going to see Frankenstein in Spanish and as soon as that is over a few of us are running over to the Guggenheim for Art After Dark. We have tickets this time, so I know I will get in. The ticket from AAD will also get you into Fever for free, but since I still don't feel great I am not going. I want to get some sleep. Tomorrow morning we are going to San Sebastian to hopefully sit on the beach and do nothing. I also have homework for this weekend. I have to work on my next silk screening project.

No comments:

Post a Comment